Continental Youth Consultation on the AU Transitional Justice Policy (AUTJP) in Nairobi, Kenya
The Continental Youth Consultation on Transitional Justice is one of the ongoing series of bilateral meetings between the AUC- DPA and stakeholders as part of the agreed work plan for 2016 to finalize the proposed AU Transitional Justice Policy
What: Continental Youth Consultation on the Draft AU Transitional Justice Policy
Who: Organized by the Department of Political Affairs of the African Union Commission (AUC DPA) with technical support of the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR).
When: 14th-15th November, 2016
Where: Eka Hotel, Nairobi - Kenya
Objectives: To understand and identify challenges preventing youth effective engagement as active agents in peace and Transitional Justice processes and for the African youth to make their contribution to the draft African Union Transitional Justice Policy (AUTJP).
- Develop best practices and key recommendations to be considered and applied by member states, regional actors and the AU to ensure that youth are included as critical stakeholders in all transitional justice and peace processes.
- Compilation of discussions and reflections on the draft AUTJP
- Strengthened network of youth working on issues of Transitional Justice and peace building in Africa.
- The participation of youth in violent conflicts on the continent is widely reported, and examples include the genocide in Rwanda, the civil war in Sierra Leone, the post-election violence in Kenya and the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa. Research about youth and conflict generally stresses the negative impacts and roles of youth, either as victims or perpetrators of the violence.
- The next generation of leaders, facilitators and stakeholders will emerge from among the current youth: so their engagement in Transitional Justice, Peace building initiatives and the constructive shaping of their political attitudes and skills in these processes is crucial. This meeting will contribute to the recognition of youth’s unique experiences of conflict while fostering their meaningful participation in knowing how a society in transition moves forward.
The Continental Youth Consultation on Transitional Justice is one of the ongoing series of bilateral meetings between the AUC- DPA and stakeholders as part of the agreed work plan for 2016 to finalize the proposed AU Transitional Justice Policy.
Participants: Representatives of the AUC Department of Political Affairs, Youth working on peace and transitional justice from across the continent and TJ experts.
MEDIA REPRESENTATIVES ARE INVITED TO COVER THE EVENT
For more details on the meeting, please contact:
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of African Union Commission (AUC).